Saturday, May 16, 2009

What, exactly, is a 'Confession'


Need to know what a word really means? Ahhh...dictionary (dot com, of course....why walk all the way over the book case where my 1979 Websters is sitting and actually flip page after page when I can point and click? Lazy...yeah, probably). So here goes ..Confession:

1. to acknowledge or avow (a fault, crime, misdeed, weakness, etc.) by way of revelation.
2. to own or admit as true: I must confess that I haven't read the book.
3. to declare or acknowledge (one's sins), esp. to God or a priest in order to obtain absolution.
4. (of a priest) to hear the confession of (a person).
5. to acknowledge one's belief or faith in; declare adherence to.
6. to reveal by circumstances.

It's that last one that I find most intriguing....to reveal by circumstance. So when someone updates their Facebook status by saying "I've been asked to write a column for a newspaper about ______ but the only stipulation is that I don't cuss" do all 534 people in your network understand that this is a JOKE because that's the last thing you would EVER do (uh...hem) or do the innocent bystanders think "wow...he's got a problem!"?

I like brownies but I don't typically eat them for breakfast. But when I decided to share that confession on Facebook a virtually feeding frenzy ensued. A Feeding Frenzy I tell ya!



Frenzy: a fit or spell of violent mental excitement; a paroxysm characteristic of or resulting from a mania
Mania: excessive excitement or enthusiasm

I guess I got a little excited about my Brownies....don't you agree? If so.....you should comment!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

Made by Lena